(OMCT) is seeking to recruit …
Casework and Advocacy Officer / Brussels
The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) is seeking to recruit a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and dynamic CASEWORK AND ADVOCACY OFFICER for its Human Rights Defenders Programme based in its Brussels Office (OMCT Europe).
The position should be filled as soon as possible.
The OMCT works for, with and through an international coalition of over 200 non-governmental organisations – the SOS-Torture network – fighting against torture, summary executions, forced disappearance, arbitrary detentions and all other forms of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment or punishment. The OMCT also provides a comprehensive and holistic system of support and protection for human rights defenders including in the framework of the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders and of ProtectDefenders.EU.
TASKS & GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Director of OMCT Human Rights Defenders Programme and the Head of OMCT Europe Office.
Primary responsibilities of the position include:
- – To draft and edit urgent interventions in cases of human rights defenders at risk (in Spanish and English and/or French).
- – To disseminate the urgent interventions, including by posting them on the OMCT website and through social media of the OMCT and the Observatory, and develop and coordinate communication and campaigning tools to that effect, in collaboration with the OMCT Communications Team.
- – To ensure that the urgent interventions are adequately reflected in the database of the Human Rights Defenders Programme.
- – To liaise with OMCT local partners and network organisations.
- – To support protection advocacy for defenders at risk with relevant United Nations and regional specialised mechanisms for the protection of human rights defenders.
- – When requested, and in support to the Director of OMCT Human Rights Defenders Programme and the Head of OMCT Brussels Office, to represent the Human Rights Defenders/Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders in relevant meetings, missions and conferences.
- – To assist with other activities of OMCT Human Rights Defenders Programme/Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders in support to OMCT Geneva and Brussels offices.
- – University degree in law, international relations, political or social sciences, communications or related field, a post graduate degree being an asset.
- – At least two years of practical experience in international human rights work, including through internships. Previous work on human rights defenders is an asset.
- – Excellent oral and written drafting and comunication skills in English and Spanish is an essential requirement; knowledge and drafting skills in French would be a strong asset.
- – Strong social media and communication skills and competencies would be an important asset, as would be skills in the use of software applications and secure communication.
- – Excellent practical knowledge and understanding of international human rights law, human rights NGOs, UN procedures, EU institutions and regional mechanisms for the protection of human rights.
- – Demonstrated commitment to human rights, the rule of law and social justice causes.
- – Excellent ability to gather, analyze, and present information in a timely and well-organized manner.
- – Excellent interpersonal and communication skills managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities.
- – Ability to take initiatives and prioritise with minimum supervision.
- – Ability to adapt to multidisciplinary work in the environment of a multicultural team and to engage with partners in different countries.
OMCT is an equal opportunities employer.
Applications comprising a cover letter and a CV with at least two references should be addressed to OMCT International Secretariat with the subject “HRDs Casework and Advocacy Officer”, by email to .
No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Deadline for the applications: June 26, 2020.