Access Now / recrute
Access Now is a growing international human rights organisation dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The IT Administrator has responsibility for the day-to-day IT and technical operations needs of Access Now’s staff around the world. The administrator is the first point of contact for tech support, supporting staff onboarding and setup, providing troubleshooting support, problem-solving, and planning and delivering capacity building. The IT administrator works with staff with varied levels of technical expertise, across different time zones. Due to the nature of Access Now’s work, the organization faces significant potential risks, with this role being central to efforts to build a culture of security.
This position is housed within Access Now’s Security Operations team, and reports through the Chief Security Officer. The IT Administrator liaises closely with members of the Organization’s broader operations and Helpline teams in fulfilling core duties.
You are dedicated to our mission, have demonstrated technical experience, and possess unshakable integrity. You are comfortable explaining technical solutions in simple terms and in troubleshooting issues. And you draw strength from supporting colleagues and promoting good digital practices across a diverse organization.
What You Will Do
- Support the full technical and digital security needs of our global team and offices, focusing on the support of desktops/laptops and office infrastructure/connectivity
- Support user administration, technical onboarding, and capacity building of staff members
- Contribute to the development of internal security policies, procedures, and controls
- Coordinate with regional operations managers to interact with local technology vendors across the organization’s global locations, where appropriate
- Work closely with colleagues on the Security Operations team – from supporting staff travel with the Global Risk & Operations Manager, to infrastructure and digital security challenges with the Systems Administrators
You Should Have
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, especially with remote users
- Previous work experience in a similar or related role supporting the IT needs of a global organization
- Great knowledge of G Suite products
- Strong ability to plan and follow through with projects in an organized and efficient manner
- Ability to write good end-user documentation/procedures
- Experience supporting desktop environments running OSX, Windows and Linux
- Good working knowledge of encryption technologies (i.e. GPG, SSL)
- Experience with network troubleshooting and office LAN set-up
- Experience in operational security planning and information security policies
- Experience with ticketing administration
- Last but not least: GIT, SSH, markdown knowledge
Remuneration and Location
Access Now offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that aligns with the communities and cultures in which it operates. While specific benefits can vary, all team members benefit from a strong culture aligned around:
- Professional development
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Flexibility in the workplace
- Interaction with a diverse, global team…often through travel
- Engagement with passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunity to recharge and grow…through refresher leave after 4 years
While there is a strong location preference for New York City, this full-time position can also be based in one of Access Now’s other registered locations in Berlin, Brussels, San José (CR), Tunis, or Washington, D.C.
Please send an email with the subject line “IT Administrator – [Your Name]” to
with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and salary expectations
- The names and contact details of two references (only one may be academic)
Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply for this important role.
As an international human rights organization committed to inclusion, Access Now is an equal opportunity employer/contractor. We value and encourage diversity, and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com; PGP Key: 0x676DA406.